You are just one adult size hula hoop away from being a hooper. So should you make your own or buy one?
Making your own hula hoop can be super fun and creative (scroll to the bottom to see some of my fav, sparky hoop tapes!)
- You can measure the exact size you would like to begin hooping with
- You can decorate it in your own style
- You don’t have to wait for your hoop to be shipped
- You can make some for your friends too
- If you make your own you might not get all the details correct the first time. When you buy from a professional hoop maker you can discuss correct size and pipe, hoop care and know you are going to have a quality hoop
- If you just want one hoop, buying from a hoop maker is perhaps faster and more time/cost effective. When buying hoop supplies you may have to buy bulk and invest in a few extra pieces of equipment and tape your first time.
- taping hoops can be challenging the first time; practice makes pretty (I added a great tutorial below)
If you think you would like to dive right in to the creative process of making your own hula hoop then I have created a playlist of How to videos for you below (made by some super creative hoopers). You will also find lots of hoop tape and equipment ideas at the bottom of this blog.
If you think you might like to get someone else to whip you up a professional and sparkling hoop then scroll to the bottom of this blog and you can find some ideas and compare prices. I have also listed some of my favourite hoop makers at the bottom.
You are also going to need to know how to HOOP. So subscribe to the Hooplovers YouTube channel here for 100s for free tutorials
Hoop Tape (the fun bit!!)
Mermaids! Disco sequin teal hula hoop tape
GASP! Galaxy Duck Tape
Colourful electrical tape (hoop makers dream)
Twilight Prism (an absolute fav…this is great quality tape too!)
High Intensity Reflective tape (make a glow hoop!)
Leopard Print Duck Tape (for the coolest hoop ever!)
Rainbow Kaleidoscope YES PLEASE!
Watermelon Haze YUM!
Economy sparkling hula hoop tape (a cheaper option)
UV Gaffer Tape (this is the grip tape that makes everything stick!)
Hoop Pipe (be sure to check the pipe size and match with connectors or contact seller to get the correct connectors)
Hot pink polypro pipe !!
You can also buy amazing hoop pipe at hardware stores and online at Hooplogie, Hoop Supplies and Super Hooper!
Connectors (always check sizes)
OK if that all seems like too much fuss, let’s go shopping. I will add a list of links to beginner hula hoops and hoop makers that I love who make beginner adult size hoops
Hoop makers : Where to buy an adult size hoop
Also search on Etsy.com and Amazon
If you do make your own hoop please the me on Instagram @deannelovexo and use the hashtag #hooplovers so I can find you!
Oki doki once you have your hoop you are going to need to learn some funky grooves! I got you sorted. Jump over to my YouTube channel to begin with and check out all the playlists there and leave a comment below if you have any requests or questions.
Please note : I have not used all of these exact tapes or hoop making equipment myself, but I have used similar and have shared links to products I would use myself!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which means I receive a tiny percentage like 4-8% if you make a purchase using this link but I appreciate everything and it helps keep this blog going!