You can find hundreds of free tutorials on my YouTube channel here; but first let’s make sure you have the right size hoop.
If you have tried a kiddies size hoop from the dollar store and felt like a failure don’t worry it is NOT you it’s the hoop!
But there are so many kinds out there. This hoop is very similar to the one I started with, but you could also try out a lighter weight polypro for off body faster moves or even a travel hoop if you want to be mobile. There are even LED light up hoops and twin hoops for doubles. But don’t get confused, there are many options. Keep reading and I will break it down even further. It is also great to contact the hoop maker you like and talk to them about your needs.
Size matters and finding the right size hoop for you is essential for finding your hoop dance flow (or even keeping the freakin' thing UP!)
Here are a few tips to help you buy the right size hula hoop:
1. Generally, if you measure from the floor in front of your toes up to about your belly button that will give you a great approximate diameter size. Most hoop stores online and offline will sell their hoops by diameter.
2. The weight or diameter of the tubing that the hoops are made of makes them different. Generally there are 3 types; Fitness/Power/Thicker tubing (25mm:1"), Dance/Regular tubing (20mm:3/4") and PolyPro/Featherlight (16mm:1/2" 3/4" 5/8") but of course there are other variations so always check in with your hoop maker to be sure.
3. If you are buying online and unsure of the right size, contact the seller and let them know your Floor to Belly Button dimensions, as well as your height and ask them to recommend a good size for you as a beginner.
4. If you want to use your hoop to dance and do tricks a hoop that is too heavy and restricts your movement is not ideal for you. So investing in the ultra heavy hoops that are being marketed as fitness tools is going to be a waste of money. Generally dance hoops and fitness hoops great for total beginners but that allow you to move, do tricks and have hooping success weigh 200 - 800g : 0.7lb - 1.5lb .
If you are going to use your hoop for on and off body dance and fitness moves anything heavier is potentially dangerous to joints and nose/teeth/valuable items in the room if you should loose control of it while transitioning between tricks.
You will tone your body, burn fat and see results from a hoop that allows you to move, the more you move the more you will see results. Calories are burned more quickly and effectively with lively, aerobic activity not by 5 -10 mins of relaxed abdominal thrusting. You need a hoop that allows you to play.
5. Many hoopers have a variety of hoops in their stack as they progress. You may end up having more than just one hoop.
6. Yes, it is possible to make your own hoops if you find the right materials. There are some cool tutorials out there, here is one. There are so many amazing hoop tapes to decorate your hoops with. This holographic tape looks incredible. Adding gaffer tape for extra grip is ideal. And you can buy many types of hoop tubing, like this polypro tubing or heavier pipe for weighted hoops.
My hoop stack:
UPDATE...this is my hoop stack these days including polypro and LED hoops
I started with a 100cm/39" 25mm/1" hoop, eight years ago it was wonderful for a few months and helped me learn all of the foundation moves (check out me and my beginner hoop below). It was similar to this one. I now enjoy 20mm:3/4" 100PSI Dance hoops in a 90cm/34" or smaller for twins. Light weight Polypro hoops in 16mm:1/2" are also fabulously fun to hoop with.
Now that you have your hoop (or it is arriving in the mail soon) you need the moves. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 100s of Hoop Dance tutorials.
Best Hula Hoop Size: What size hula hoop should I buy?
Links to other hoops that I found online that you might like to check out. Great for beginners or beyond
Light Weight Polypro practice hoop - good for off body tricks
Nb: I have not used these hoops myself but they do look sparkly!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which means I receive a tiny percentage like 4-8% if you make a purchase using this link but I appreciate everything and it helps keep this blog going!
How to Choose the Right Size Hula Hoop for Beginners
Have you had a hoop experience that made you feel unsuccessful?
Was your hoop too small?
Have you got the right size hoop(s) now?
Try some of these tutorials to get you started!
How to Waist Hula Hoop Tutorial for Total Beginners
How to Hula Hoop for Total Beginners Part2
Horizontal ISO Down Hula Hoop Tutorial for Beginners
Beginners On & Off Hoop Dance Tutorial (Beginner Hula Hoop Tricks)
Do you want to learn more about hooping? Do you want to train with me?
>Find out more about my online hula hoop courses