Embarking on a new journey to master something or sticking to long held visions takes energy and focus. There is a definite cheat sheet to mastery of any kind though and it may be more simple than you think. These 5 tips will keep you clutter free in your visions and help smooth out the process to rockin’ what you most desire.
Small changes can make huge shifts in how we think and feel. I am a big believer in taking action.
So become an activist of your own life with these simple and proven ways to bring more joy and light to your day.
1. Start your day simply. With a large glass of fresh water (perhaps a twist of lemon to get fancy) and a 5 – 60 minute hula hoop session. Every cell in your body will thank you for starting your day off with a spin.
2. Take time for silence, make space to listen to others but fill the rest of your day with uplifting, spirited or relaxing music. Watch your productivity soar, your blood pressure calm and your focus power on.
3. Smile. Send messages of happiness to your brain and do a bit of face yoga while you are at it.
Most importantly you need the right size hula hoop. If you have tried a little kid’s hoop and felt like a failure never fear; it is not you it is the hoop! The right size hoop for you should measure from the ground up to about your belly button. If you are trying to use a kid’s hoop from a toy store, sports store or Walmart/Kmart you are setting yourself up for disaster.
– A Hoop Space.
Once you have your adult size hoop if you want to hula hoop inside you will need to clear some space so that you don’t go crashing into everything around you. Heading outdoors to the park or beach is ideal but a large indoor space where you can move freely is great.
– A focus on fun
Hooping is something that takes play and practice. If you have not been moving or dancing much them you need to be patient with your body and give it plenty of time and practice to get used to the movement of hooping.
– Rocking playlist
Music helps your body and hoop find a beat and connect. Put together a playlist of your fav songs to keep you playful and ready to dance.
Now let’s break waist hooping down into easy steps:
– Stand with your feet either hip width apart or one slightly in front of the other.
– Press the hoop into the small of your back, on a flat horizontal plane.
– Give the hoop a flat but firm push with your hands in the direction that intuitively feels best. The hoop should rotate around your body several times even if you make no movement with your body.
– As soon as you spin your hoop ignite a rhythmic pulse in your middle torso, pushing back and forth if one foot is in front of the other or side to side if the feet are parallel.
– If at first you don’t succeed…you know what they say. Pick you hoop up, press it against the small of the back, give it a firm and flat push in one direction and ignite a body pulse instantly to stop the hoop from falling down.
Things to remember…
– where ever the hoop is on your body, that is the part of your body that needs to be pulsing. If there is too much movement below the hoop in your hips and knees the hoop will be drawn down.
– it can take time to build your hoop stamina, you may find your hoop automatically slows down after a few rotations. You can amp up the hoops speed by intensifying your torso pulse and it’s speed.
I am going to add some beginner hoop dance tutorials below. Remember to hoop just as much as you watch, practice and play helps!
And always, always have fun. Hooping is a playful way to exercise and feel good, be patient with yourself, be confident that it will happen and have a blast!
Note: Hooping may look like a ton of fun but it is a super active exercise that will totally have your heart pumping and body grooving so make sure that you check in with your health practitioner if you have any concerns before starting this as a new exercise.
The gravity defying kick up can be the bane and pain of many hoopers lives. Getting your hoop to smoothly jump up from the floor to your knees is an absolute challenge. I am going to show you an easy and hopefully pain free way. Continue Reading